This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord to Vent/overload light

Postby afroskully » 23 Apr 2018, 18:31

Hey all. I've been struggling with setting the right levels between the nord and my first gen Neo Vent ever since I bought it 9 years ago. Bottom line is the overload light on the vent comes on way too easily. I've read a bunch of other similar complaints on various message boards. I sent it to ashby solutions to get the stereo input modification installed which is great but didn't change the issue (not that i expected it to). I've been toying with the idea of trying out a Vent II with the hopes that the circuitry is different and maybe not as easily overloaded. Anyone have any experience with both 1st and 2nd generation vents and know if this is true or not?

thanks in advance.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Nord to Vent/overload light

Sponsor

Re: Nord to Vent/overload light

Postby sus_4 » 23 Apr 2018, 18:40

Is your input gain switch (on the back of the unit) in the Hi or Low position?
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby afroskully » 23 Apr 2018, 18:50

low position.

using the hi position would give it a really nice growl but the volume was way too low and would overload even easier.
afroskully

Postby anotherscott » 23 Apr 2018, 19:00

You could just lower the volume of your organ sound going into it, and compensate by raising the level on your mixer/amp.
anotherscott

Postby afroskully » 23 Apr 2018, 19:18

anotherscott wrote:You could just lower the volume of your organ sound going into it, and compensate by raising the level on your mixer/amp.

that's just the thing... I did that the last few gigs, and wound up maxing out at the amp level. even with that, turning the nord volume even close to 12 o clock would overload the vent.

bypassing the vent playing piano/rhodes, i can turn volume to around 12 and all is well. then turning on vent, i have to roll back volume on organ in order to not overload it. (fyi, piano and organ gain levels are maxed out and part dial is maxed out to one side)
afroskully

Postby cphollis » 23 Apr 2018, 21:49

afroskully wrote:Hey all. I've been struggling with setting the right levels between the nord and my first gen Neo Vent ever since I bought it 9 years ago. Bottom line is the overload light on the vent comes on way too easily. I've read a bunch of other similar complaints on various message boards. I sent it to ashby solutions to get the stereo input modification installed which is great but didn't change the issue (not that i expected it to). I've been toying with the idea of trying out a Vent II with the hopes that the circuitry is different and maybe not as easily overloaded. Anyone have any experience with both 1st and 2nd generation vents and know if this is true or not?

thanks in advance.

I initially had the same problem. My Nord 3 Compact can overwhelm my Vent II if precautions aren't taken. First, set it up for keys, not guitar. Next, use a mixer downstream from the Vent II to get the gain you're looking for. And take it easy on the master volume knob. You should be getting max gain at 1 or 2 oclock.

Now that it's all set up that way, I never have an issue.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby afroskully » 24 Apr 2018, 23:57

ugh... f**** kids. my son was messing with the gain knob on the side of my moog control pedal. it's so camouflaged black on black I forgot to check it. it was turned half way down. and so ends the overload light mystery. moral of the story: keep your kids away from your stuff.
afroskully

Return to General Nord Forum