Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: Moog sound with Lead A1

Postby Kurzleader » 13 Mar 2018, 02:02

If you're interested, here are some moog sounds among others:

Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by Kurzleader on 13 Mar 2018, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

The author Kurzleader was thanked by 2 members, including:
tsss27Zbmstudios
Kurzleader

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby Subtraction » 18 Apr 2018, 08:54

Zbmstudios wrote:Hello,

I want to buy the Sub 37 and lead A1. I have to get one at a time though, can't afford both at once. My question is can Nord Lead A1 make thick/phat/smooth leads like the Moog can? (Think Cory Henry,Shaun Martin, snarky puppy). I know it can't imitate because it's NOT a Moog, but will I be able to make really great leads with the A1? If so, I'd get that one first and add the Sub 37 second. Any experience with the two? Or if you've owned/player both what were your experiences? And I am an experienced piano player/keyboardist, not a hobbyist or tinkerer.(although nothing wrong with that at all!)

Thanks.

I have the SSQ37 and the Nord Lead A1. The Nord LA1 wins over the SSQ37 in every respect.
I'm still kicking myself for blindly buying the SSQ37 late last year. Still trying to sell it.
I had an original MiniMoog for almost 20 years (was a good financial investment!) and I'm really pleased with the NLA1 emulation of that too.

The NLA1 can achieve every sound the SSQ37 can make, and then make it better. Although the NLA1 layout can appear counter-intuitive by comparison to the SSQ37, it's easy to use once you use it a while (I've considered upgrading to the Lead 4, but the A1 is just too good to drop for a few added conveniences).
When it comes to Bass (something the SSQ37 is "supposed" to be made for) the NLA1 can get much fatter and better timbres using just two slots and unison2. And while the SubOSC on the SSQ37 is a fixed Square, the NLA1 can use anything as a SubOSC.

I still switch the SSQ37 on about once a week to quickly work out a patch that I've been thinking about, because the layout is good, but it always gets to the point where it either cant go further or just sounds too annoying (it gets too "buzzy" sometimes), and later when I have time to make it on the NLA1, it's magic.

ps, basically, you wont need both, the NAL1 is good to do both jobs if 4 slots is enough for all your needs, and save a large sum of money at the same time!
Last edited by Subtraction on 18 Apr 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

The author Subtraction was thanked by:
CountFosco
Subtraction

Postby stiiiiiiive » 18 Apr 2018, 14:43

Looks like you've found your tool of choice :)

I've played NL2, NL3, Modular and am still playing a G2. I also play Little Phatty, Sub Phatty and Voyager on a regular basis.
I remember having obtained big basses with a G2 or NL2 in particular. However I feel the Moog sound fuller right away, especially the LP and V. For example, I don't need to layer two Moog patches to sound fat, or -something annoying- when I want a Moog to sound thinner... well... I remember using an analogue 6-voice synth through the LP's audio input and filter: no way you get a decently mixable pad unless you take it to an outboard HPF.
About oscillators only, Subs are another story as they tend to sound more... static to me.

Tastes :)

More generally speaking, I feel like when you've found you tool, you just know exactly what to touch to please your ears. You even know where is your starting point and what to adjust to experiment around it. I understand you get that feeling when using a NA1 while the SubSequent 37 leaves you bored.
I personally feel more at ease, more consistent between fingers and ears, with my LP than with the G2, even if I"ve been using the latter 4 years more. Once again, I guess it's about tastes overall.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on 18 Apr 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Subtraction » 20 Apr 2018, 03:55

Sorry didn’t mean to start a moog v Nord thing with my first post ever on a forum.
If you do sit down with a Subsequent37 you will find that it definitely hasn’t got minimoog model D sound quality. Nor does it sound like a Voyager, which I’ve used often.
It’s not a bad synth and I will admit that there’s at least 30 patches I’ve made that are keepers (and I didn’t call it boring) it just doesn’t sound as good as, or as “minimoog sounding” as the Lead A1 (based on using a mini for 20 years)
Subtraction

Postby stiiiiiiive » 20 Apr 2018, 17:16

No problem, we are just discussing, plus I'm just saying that: to each their own :)
I totally agree about how different the Moog synths can sound. Plus I' haven't played any NLA1, which does not allow me to compare, but makes me curious of how close the emulation can be with respect to any other Moog.

Sorry about the use of "boring", I may have misunderstood "annoying", those two words being close to each other in my language.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby koloman » 20 Apr 2018, 19:39

Nice sound. DJkeys, Could You post the nlap-file?
Wolfgang, a bloody A1 beginner...
Last edited by koloman on 20 Apr 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
koloman
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby DJKeys » 20 Apr 2018, 21:42

Here you go WG-

I have included both programs which make up the performance. Put those two together in two slots and save them both to a performance.

Moog 1.nlas
(123 Bytes) Downloaded 281 times

Moog 2.nlas
(123 Bytes) Downloaded 235 times

Enjoy-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by 2 members, including:
danielwolkkoloman
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby koloman » 22 Apr 2018, 22:30

Thanks for the 2 Moogs, its a wonderful forum with wonderful members.
koloman
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Zbmstudios » 24 May 2018, 23:08

Thanks for the feed back guys. Very helpful. I recently swapped my Nord Piano 3 for a Nord Stage 3 and have had a personal taste with eh A1 engine and it sounds wonderful. The ONLY thing stopping me from get the Lead A1 right now is aftertouch. I really need it. I'm waiting for the Lead A2 because I really hope they put aftertouch in there. My other hand and feet are already using pedals to morph and sustain on my NS3 and when I'm soling with a lead I need to be able to use the aftertouch for pitch bend and filter modulations. Please Nord give aftertouch!!
Zbmstudios

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Venatt » 03 Jun 2018, 20:55

How would the Lead A1 compare vs Dave Smith-Tom Oberheim OB6 ?
Venatt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum