Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 4 introduced

Postby Ecaroh » 16 Apr 2018, 15:54

Having NS3 with 2 GB of piano memory, it was kind of a surprise that they did not put at least that amount to NP4. I can just imagine reasons for this. As said above it would have been justified to have 4 GB because it is a flagship piano (lacking other things like synth, organ) and what else needs more memory than those piano sounds... Sometimes it's little difficult to follow their logic. IMO (based on comparison chart) it's also perhaps a littlebit too much to say this is a next generation model. IMO It could have been named Nord Piano 3ex (using Clavia's terminology).

But all this said, I am glad Clavia keeps developing things! For comparison I have Virus TI2 which is still same as it was years and years ago and having all those problems with dated USB-connection for example. It's a great synth but it's frustrating that this company (Access) is just making money with this slowly decreasing reputation they made with old Virus line.
Last edited by Ecaroh on 16 Apr 2018, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Sponsor

Postby kirsty » 16 Apr 2018, 17:12

Missed a trick there I think, not much difference to the NP3 really. More like a rushed update of tech put into the NS3.

Ill second the confusion as to why on a Piano focussed instrument they arent including 2GB memory at least. They have the hardware and know how already in the factory from the Stage 3. Must be a pricing factor?

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby OG3playsnord » 17 Apr 2018, 20:01

I did not know nord already released their next piano. As a piano3 owner who only play primarily piano sounds full 88 keys without splits 100% of the time (or use any layering) do not see much benefit going to a piano4.

I hope nord figured out how to fix their banging noise keys though.. lol
OG3playsnord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby MartinJ2EX » 17 Apr 2018, 22:56

Please tell me that Nord isn't really keeping the creepy position of the logo on the back of Piano 4..... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited by MartinJ2EX on 17 Apr 2018, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby NordIOW » 17 Apr 2018, 23:02

As an avid Nord Piano user 1,2&3 I feel rather mugged off!

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk
NordIOW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby jazzfoto » 18 Apr 2018, 22:57

At 9:30 in this video they say that the price will be about the same as for NP3: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=23pHcfqZWaM
Last edited by jazzfoto on 19 Apr 2018, 07:49, edited 3 times in total.
jazzfoto

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Postby Frank Rose » 23 Apr 2018, 18:25

I too am disappointed that the new Piano 4 offers no additional memory particularly when it has been added to the more recent upgrades of other Nord keyboards. There may be a good reason but it has left some of their loyal customers scratching their heads. Anyway, with the exception of smooth transition, it is my opinion that the lack of improvements to the Piano 4 has increased the resale value of the Piano 3. So last week, I was able to sell my Piano 3 for well over half of what I paid for it new. For my needs, smooth transition is a must have, but I'm going to wait a little bit before I purchase another Nord. I'm starting to think there may be more bang for the buck with a stage 3 even though it has more features than I would use. Regardless, I am sold on the Nord piano samples and will again have one of their keyboards at a later date.
Frank Rose

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby derrellpiper » 24 Apr 2018, 03:12

I would have designed the Piano 4 w/ 2GB piano memory, synth from the Stage, seamless transitions, and graded hammer action w/ wood (Fatar TP40/WOOD). Maybe the triple-sensor is the problem, but the Piano 3 keybed was only okay and the Stage 3 88 is barely adequate. But at least on the Stage, you can load all of the Nord Piano Library XL (or L) grand samples in the 2GB, all of them. Wouldn't that be handy in a stage piano? This is a nice upgrade to the Piano 3, but it's basically still basically a Piano 3.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Frank Rose » 24 Apr 2018, 05:16

Thank you for your perspective. Helpful and makes sense. I think I'll hold off getting a Stage 3 until after NAMM. We never really know; Something else could be in the works.
Last edited by Frank Rose on 24 Apr 2018, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

The author Frank Rose was thanked by:
jdwosh
Frank Rose

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby lawman » 26 Apr 2018, 10:52

The NP4 is a mistake, if you ask me. If you have any doubt, just look at the overwhelmingly negative reactions on this Forum. A "new model" should incorporate clearly significant improvements over the previous model. 2 gigs of piano memory would have been an exciting development, especially if it were coupled with a more robust action offering a truer piano-like feel. I've only had my NP3 for a year, but I would have traded up for increased piano capacity. But not now, not this, no way. I don't care about increased sample synth space - I don't use all of the 256 MB I have now. I would hate to think that this barely-improved model would have been rolled out now in order to meet some misguided sales or marketing plan. I would hate it even more if it were because Nord is no longer committed to the future of its Nord Piano concept, and is planning to drive consumers into the more-expensive Stage series instead. (I don't want a Nord organ or synth engine as in the Stage, and I don't want to pay for one.) Who is the NP4's targeted customer anyway - I doubt that swarms of current Nord users will be rushing to upgrade to an NP4, and new customers won't appreciate the difference, so why bother? This is no way to build customer loyalty. For me, Nord has lost some of its luster. I feel like Tom Hanks' character in "Big," when he is presented with a new product. He looks at it and says, "I don't get it." All of this is just my opinion and conjecture, however.
lawman

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum