Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

what means "---" after shift + performance in NL rack 2?

Postby estrica2000 » 10 Apr 2018, 03:15

hi! in the manual it says:
"Enter Performance mode by holding down shift and pressing performance (manual).
the display shows the latest selected performance"

my display appear: ---

I wonder what does this mean?

Thank you! =)
estrica2000

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

what means "---" after shift + performance in NL rack 2?

Sponsor

Re: what means "---" after shift + performance in NL rack 2?

Postby ricard » 10 Apr 2018, 16:33

Sorry if this is obvious, but just to make sure: you need to press (and hold) shift before pressing manual/performance.

Otherwise it seems like the shift key is broken or you haven't managed to press it down properly, as --- means that the front panel is in manual mode (i.e. the unshifted function of the manual/performance button).
ricard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby estrica2000 » 10 Apr 2018, 18:17

thank you for helping! yes i was holding s*** while pressing performance.

To make it clear:

example: when i press performance alone i see in the panel: A6
at this time,
if i press: A i see :1
if i press: B i see :69
if i press: C i see :1
if i press: D i see :1

so This should be Performance Mode, right? and so i should have got here by pressing shift instead?

when i press Shift and Performance (manual) i see "---". Is this not the normal behaviour? by the description seems functions are exchanged.

Another thing confusing me is that: In front panel button Perf.Mode is written in white and above the button, which means pressing the button alone should go to performance mode. And above manual in black and with red background is written: manual , i assume this should be triggered by using shift, so pressing Shift + Perf-mode button should go to manual. Is this exchanged just for me?
estrica2000

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby ricard » 17 Apr 2018, 23:18

Sorry, I got utterly confused in post above. Pressing Perf. Mode (Manual) on its own indeed brings up the latest selected performance. I can't find anywhere in the manual where it says "Enter Performance mode by holding down shift and pressing performance (manual).", the only two places that mention entering performance mode say "Enter Performance mode by pressing the Perf. Mode button."

If you are in performance mode, and press Shift + Perf. Mode (Manual), the display shows "---", and after some experimentation this means that the slot in the performance that was previously flashing is now in manual mode, i.e. plays the sound as the knobs are set on the panel. Oddly enough, the slot leds all go out during this time, and pressing any of the slot buttons reverts the patch for that slot to the one before Shift + Perf.Mode was pressed.

So just as Shift + Perf.Mode (Manual) in normal mode displays "---" and plays the sound that is currently set on the knobs, Shift + Perf.Mode (Manual) in performance mode does the same, but only affects the slot whose LED was flashing when Shift + Perf.Mode (Manual) was pressed. Since the slot LEDs all go out in this case, it's not too obvious what is going on.
Last edited by ricard on 17 Apr 2018, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
ricard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum