General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: DI Box

Postby sdmkeys » 14 Apr 2018, 22:17

I'm using the ART dPDB - best bang for the buck!
sdmkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby gatzou » 14 Apr 2018, 23:33

Mr. Marko wrote:Radial is the best, I used the Duplex with Jensen TX for years...I upgrade to the Key Largo for a full compliment of features but the Duplex is never leaving my road case as a back up.

+1 for the radial duplex : perfect for keyboards and stereo sources. It can also mix / merge inputs if you need it.
gatzou

Postby ericL » 15 Apr 2018, 04:58

Radial JDI Duplex is the standard. I’ve used one for close to a decade and it’s remarkable.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 15 Apr 2018, 10:47

With several models of stereo boxes you have the possibility of stereo or mono output. The one I mentioned has it too. I prefer passive boxes because of the hassle of running with batteries or transformers. Look around, the differences in prices can be very large for what seems to be the same functionality.
Mr_-G-

Postby Murphy » 15 Apr 2018, 17:39

I would really like to use the Radial Key Largo, but I need more inputs so I use a Yamaha MG10XU, which does a great job with my four keyboards, sending XLR to the mains and sending 1/4 out to my monitors. Now if Radial Key Largo with four dual inputs: I'm there! But my Yamaha is doing great and it's rugged too.
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby thefingers » 16 Apr 2018, 22:08

thefingers

Postby thefingers » 12 Jun 2018, 16:29

Just thought i'd share my views on this now that I have tried the box above.
I have to say this this made a huge difference to the tone of the board through the PA.

I ran Ch1 & 2 from the Nord to the Input and Thru of Channel 2 on the DI and switched the Combine button to Sum the 2.
Then just ran an XLR to the PA and what a joy :clap:

The Pianos now sound like they should: Rich and whole. The same with the EP's. It also breathes life into the Organs too.
Just have to make sure that the SNR is well balanced to ensure you don't overdrive but overall I am one very very happy chappy :P
thefingers

Postby someclevername » 13 Jun 2018, 09:20

thefingers wrote:I ran Ch1 & 2 from the Nord to the Input and Thru of Channel 2 on the DI and switched the Combine button to Sum the 2.

The Pianos now sound like they should: Rich and whole. The same with the EP's. It also breathes life into the Organs too.
Just have to make sure that the SNR is well balanced to ensure you don't overdrive but overall I am one very very happy chappy :P

How's the sound summed externally compared to activating "Mono" mode?

For small weekend stuff my DI is my Rolls personal monitor mixer. http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351 Anything more serious and the sound guy usually brings his own DI boxes.
someclevername

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

Postby thefingers » 18 Jun 2018, 16:33

someclevername wrote:
thefingers wrote:I ran Ch1 & 2 from the Nord to the Input and Thru of Channel 2 on the DI and switched the Combine button to Sum the 2.

How's the sound summed externally compared to activating "Mono" mode?

For small weekend stuff my DI is my Rolls personal monitor mixer. http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351 Anything more serious and the sound guy usually brings his own DI boxes.

I don't know (physically) what the Internal Mono switch does but I have found that although it does help the sound a little it doesn't cut it when fed to the PA.
When running a physical L&R output from the Nord we are already getting the benefit of 2 separate channels into the DI. the "Summing" that is handled at this point already has those 2 channels so we are already gaining that benefit. In addition we are now running a Balanced feed to the Desk.
Of course, we can also go the whole hog and run L&R to each of the channels on the DI without the Summing, then run 2 separate XLR channels to the Desk. The only reason I'm running a single XLR out is because it's just 1 cable and 1 channel on the Desk.
thefingers

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum