This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Long release with upright piano

Postby PScooter63 » 15 Apr 2018, 04:47

I really hadn't paid much attention to this feature until this thread. Sadly, I never read that section of the manual, and assumed LR was about artificially lengthening sustained notes (bass notes in particular), which doesn't interest me. So thanks guys, I learned something.

But now that I've played with it a bit... a new or well-maintained grand just doesn't act like that. Heck, my 10-year-old Boston upright doesn't act like that. Nice, crisp cutoffs from the real deals I play weekly.

Even when I've played older instruments (read: university practice rooms), the dampers don't all "fade" at the same rate, there's some variability among them. LR is too uniform and homogeneous to convince me I'm playing an older instrument.

Moreover, in a jazz or rock band context, I see this slow release working against my efforts at punctuality/clarity. So add me to the "nope" column under those specific circumstances. But I will experiment with other genres, before I write it off completely.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Sponsor

Postby NordPH » 15 Apr 2018, 22:48

gatzou wrote:Well, to my ears “long release” sound like a programmed fade out. The standard (short) release sound like a true release sound (like a trigged release sample). However, the standard release is very short, like a well tuned piano with new dampers. So long release could be useful in some occasion (usually I prefer adding some reverb instead of using long release)

I agree.
I´ve listened very closely to the long release now with full compression and even some drive to get into the sound more and it´s very clear that the soft/long release is just a fade out.
Good thing that a lot of people like it though, so that it´s not a waste.
NordPH
Patch Creator

Postby kirsty » 16 Apr 2018, 11:45

gatzou wrote:Well, to my ears “long release” sound like a programmed fade out. The standard (short) release sound like a true release sound (like a trigged release sample). However, the standard release is very short, like a well tuned piano with new dampers. So long release could be useful in some occasion (usually I prefer adding some reverb instead of using long release)

This is exactly my thoughts and you found the words better to describe it than I could.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Dreamer » 19 Apr 2018, 06:55

Yeah. Long release is your friend for slow solo ballads but your foe for quick punctuated jazz lines in a trio. Must maintain 2 different programs for different styles and tempi. Works, but if the Nord guys were clever they could track midi key down events and make long release only active when playing slower, naturally this requires not a switch but a range for its values. Just another prove that these guys have a “per song” thinking and not an “universal best piano” sound in mind.
Last edited by Dreamer on 19 Apr 2018, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby baekgaard » 19 Apr 2018, 08:47

Dreamer wrote:Yeah. Long release is your friend for slow solo ballads but your foe for quick punctuated jazz lines in a trio. Must maintain 2 different programs for different styles and tempi. Works, but if the Nord guys were clever they could track midi key down events and make long release only active when playing slower, naturally this requires not a switch but a range for its values. Just another prove that these guys have a “per song” thinking and not an “universal best piano” sound in mind.

Your idea of a tempo/style-adaptable piano sound is interesting, of course. But it's not something that is based on modelling a real acoustic piano :-)

I think "these guys" (Nord?) are trying to give us options for how we would like our piano to sound and play, which is why we have many samples and also the long release option. I don't think there is a "universal best piano", but different sounds we like to use creatively in different contexts. Owning also both an upright and an grand acoustic piano, I generally find the grand sounds "better" and more like my idea of how a piano "should" sound with more clarify in tone etc -- but there are contexts and styles where I think the upright fits better.

But maybe your idea could be extended, and also detect the style of the music the band plays, and not only how you play, and then adapt the sound to what you play. So the more rock-ballad, the brighter your piano becomes, and the more country style, the more upright'y it becomes, etc :geek:
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 19 Apr 2018, 11:28

What would be really cool is if it could detect not only the tempo and style, but also the key, and then it could play the notes to save me the hassle :P
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum