The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: Powered speaker recommendation

Postby taroha10 » 14 Oct 2012, 11:16

thanks for that. I've been trying to get quite a attacking sound and the closest I have got to what I want is to run in mono into my Boss Lesley sim with all the built in effects turned off and it direct out. Have now tried both outputs and not noticed any difference between left and right.I find the built in leslie sim a little compressed for the sound I like.When not D.I. I will run in mono through an old Randall combo with a EV S200 linked.
Cheers again.
taroha10

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1

Sponsor

Postby Mooser » 15 Oct 2012, 18:10

Now, I'm not entirely positive, but I think the "left" and "right" outputs are identical, and either one can be used as an output. But when the "sim" is engaged, however, the effect is in stereo, and the Leslie sim will sound much better through a stereo amp set-up. That is, either two amps, or one of them new-fangled angled-front amps which are stereo.
I gave up on the Peavey powered speaker, after getting two duds in a row, and being back-ordered til November. I purchased instead an Alto TS115A. It's a "Rubbermaid" style (poly case) but the full length steel grill and well-proportioned case looks good, and, at 39 lbs it's the lightest of the 15" 2-way powered speakers. The manufacturer boasts "800 watts (peak)" but the cabinet is overpowered by the woofer long before that, IMO.
When combined with the Motion Sound Pro3x the system sounds much, much better than with a Peavey KBA-100 'bottom' Much smoother, much more musical capable of more volume. And there was an entire bottom octave of bass which showed up, too! At $301 total (I had a coupon for $75) at Guitar Center, I think it's a great deal. And I still have the option of running other keyboards through the speaker, or stopping the horn and using "sim".
But remember those "left" and "right" outputs we were discussing? Well, I've only got one of them plugged. What if all the sound escapes out the other one? Only thing to do is get another Pro3x (there's a used one at the local GC) and Alto and have stereo Leslie. I don't see what other choice I've got.

The author Mooser was thanked by:
taroha10
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby flmc59 » 15 Oct 2012, 20:05

What you get when you use just one side of the sim is what you would hear if you miked a leslie with one mike on top and one on the bottom.

Using dual pro3's. I could test that at home. Since i have a pro3tm and a pro3x :). Pro3 system top+bassamp + a leslie 145 sounds great. That I have tried

The author flmc59 was thanked by:
taroha10
flmc59

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Postby taroha10 » 16 Oct 2012, 23:11

had the chance to run the C1 through a Leslie last night. It was something like a 810 ( memory like a seive )It sounded amazing! Unfortunately I will rarely be able to do this but it is good to know what it can do given the chance.
Look forward to trying it through a valve leslie when I can. Havn't had the chance to run through my usual rig yet but will comment back when I have done so.
Cheers.
taroha10

Postby Mooser » 17 Oct 2012, 19:27

<i>"Using dual pro3's. I could test that at home. Since i have a pro3tm and a pro3x . Pro3 system top+bassamp + a leslie 145 sounds great. That I have tried"</i>

Please do. The concern of course, is that having two rotary horns would dull the effect. But then, there's the possibility that two rotating horns will have not just an additive, but an order-of-magnitude effect and be stunning. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X49DolBQSg">Cherry Wainer, my personal model for organ performance,</a> (when I can fit into the dresses, and I'll need a smaller dog) has two big, big.... Leslies. And white laquer finish, too! Take that, Tolex!

On Monday, I've been invited to perform with an acoustic (percussion, guitar) duo for an evening. I'm looking forward to using my rig at normal volumes, for once, and there's no bass player, so out come the pedals! I'm eager to see what I can add, filling out their sound, without, of course dominating it. If you ask me (and naturally, you were just about to, I can tell) the Hammond organ is quite a bit the "Emperor's New Clothes" instrument. It's all about the psycho-acoustics! Playing it consists of continually conning the audience into believing it's something other than just a collection of tuned buzzings and spurious harmonics.
At any rate, it's a dinner gig and they've promised to feed me. Yup, that's what it's come to. Hungry organist will play for food.
Last edited by Mooser on 17 Oct 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mooser

Postby flmc59 » 18 Oct 2012, 00:02

I have confirmed that a 145 leslie and a pro3x works.
Guessing i would say that 2 pro3 tops sounds greatf
flmc59

Postby flmc59 » 18 Oct 2012, 06:55

I have confirmed that a 145 leslie and a pro3x works.
Guessing i would say that 2 pro3 tops sounds greatf
flmc59

Postby Mooser » 20 Oct 2012, 00:18

"Guessing i would say that 2 pro3 tops sounds greatf"

I'd like to have a Pro3x and Alto powered speaker for each side. Put em at both sides of the room... If nothing else, the two powered speakers used by themselves would much improve the Nord sim. But I'm sure you've found that piling "sim" on top of a rotary horn isn't so great most of the time.

But where to get, should they fail, the modified diaphrams Motion Sound used in the products? They're gone, you know, kaput, out of business, and not likely to return.
Mooser

Postby Lindsay » 09 Apr 2018, 11:28

Hi I'm looking to get a C2D for a Church in Australia that seats about 200+.
How do you think a pair of JBL EON ONE's would go, especially for the Pipe organ mode http://www.jblpro.com/Microsite-EONONE/index1.html?v=v1 ?
It would also get a feed through our installed pa system, although it's also line array, but out wide with a fairly low and horizontal dispersion plus a sub.
Lindsay

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby The Franchise » 10 Apr 2018, 20:51

I've been running my C2D thru either a single or pair of QSC K12's. These are the 1000W models, waaaay more power than I'll ever need. 2 inputs with all the details the other guys have mentioned. 35 lbs. Never failed me. Would buy/recommend them in a heart beat.

The author The Franchise was thanked by:
Lindsay
The Franchise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

PreviousNext

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum