Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Lead 4; Remote Program/bank change for performance banks

Postby PhilipK » 29 Aug 2014, 22:13

I could have sworn I read in a manual that the performance banks were accessible via cc00:0, cc32:4,5. Was I taking crazy pills at the time?

I'm trying to coordinate patch changes between a stage 2 and a lead 4 without having to deal with handwritten notes on stage.

Thanks so much!!

-philip

---i just double checked the manual v1.2. It does say that the above should be the case. But my Lead isn't reseponding to those bank messages. It's running software v1.24.
Last edited by PhilipK on 29 Aug 2014, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.
PhilipK

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Lead 4; Remote Program/bank change for performance banks

Sponsor

Re: Lead 4; Remote Program/bank change for performance banks

Postby RedLeo » 03 Sep 2014, 15:08

Are you sending Program Changes at the same time as the Bank Select messages? You can't send Bank Select messages by themselves, that doesn't do anything, They need to have a Program Change attached.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby PhilipK » 08 Sep 2014, 23:42

I am. I'm able to remotely achieve program changes in banks 1-4. But not in the two performance banks. It seems very bug-like - especially since the manual states that this is possible.
PhilipK

Postby lecroc » 10 Sep 2014, 01:07

The only way I can get the NS2 to change performances on the Lead 4 is to select performance mode BEFORE I change the song programme on the NS2. It has to be in performance mode when programming the extern menu as well before saving. Really irritating in a gig situation to remember which songs use programmes on the Lead and which use performances. I guess with time I'll migrate all songs to performances as you get a greater richness and depth of sound.

Unless of course anyone knows the MIDI command on the NS2 to switch modes on the Lead 4, 'cos I haven't found it yet...
lecroc

Postby pablomastodon » 10 Sep 2014, 16:09

The real question there is to find a midi command on the NL4 which will switch back and forth between Program and Performance modes (then use the optional midi cc in Extern to address it). I do not see this in the NL4's controller definition list, but you might try (I'll try it later today, but have a few things on my plate first) connecting NL4 to a midi monitor and flipping back and forth. This may or may not generate a midi message and that will be the answer. On the G2, for example, it's cc#19.

Pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 29 Sep 2014, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby PhilipK » 10 Sep 2014, 19:56

That's really interesting, Leroc - I would be entirely satisfied at this stage with that behavior. But with my NL4 waiting patiently in performance mode, program change messages are ignored for banks 4 and 5 (performance A, B) - while *not* in performance mode, I can happily send program change messages and choose anything from banks 0-3. It seems like I must be missing something very specific.

-philip
PhilipK

Postby pablomastodon » 10 Sep 2014, 20:41

I am informed that there was a divergence between the text in the manual and the actual function of the instrument with regard to using bank numbers 4 and 5 to access Performance Mode. This has been reported and may (or may not) be addressed in future OS updates. Time will tell...

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby PhilipK » 29 Sep 2014, 22:30

I've been experimenting using Ableton to fire off program/bank changes. it looks like what's currently possible is that while in performance mode, the NL4 will respond to program and bank changes for sub banks 1 and 2 - for performance banks A and B. And while not in perf mode - the NL4 responds to program changes for sub banks 1-4. Hopefully I can replicate this from the NS2 later today. If I can, then that's plenty good enough for me for my purposes on stage.

-p
Last edited by PhilipK on 29 Sep 2014, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
PhilipK

Postby pablomastodon » 29 Sep 2014, 23:14

Hi Philip,

I really wasn't trying to go full-Orwell with the wording there; sorry if it looked that way. A mistake was made and language was included in the manual which should not have been included in the manual. I am not privy to the details of who/what/where/when/why this happened, but it did. No doubt instrument designing and building is an evolutionary process, as is life. Once in a while "stuff" will happen. Nord is aware of the situation, but as a matter of policy does not make advance notices on OS release development. Doing so would only cause more problems. Hence, time will tell...sorry that it has to be that way...just telling it like it is.

But getting back to original question, I thought the issue was toggling back and forth between Program Mode and Performance Mode. Yes, there is apparently at present no way to accomplish this remotely via midi. But it's no problem to send program changes via midi in Performance Mode and have the instrument respond accordingly. Note that these program change messages must be sent on the instrument's Global Channel. Note also that if you have individual midi channels assigned to individual slots, you can still send program change messages on those channels and effectively operate each slot as an independent module of sorts while still within Performance Mode. The trick is to assign a 5th channel for your Global Channel. When you wish to change performances, transmist PC on that channel. When you wish to change any particular slot's program, send a PC on that channel. This sort of gives you the best of both worlds all at once.

For purposes of maintaining my own programming sanity, I choose to operate in Performance Mode only, and program accordingly, even on instruments on which flip-flopping back and forth between the two modes CAN be easily done remotely via midi (like my G2). Nord does something quite unusual (compared to "the other guys") with their implementation of Performance Mode: the resulting stored Performance contains its own independent copies of each slot program such that 1) they can be edited without affecting the original source programs, and 2) the original source programs can be edited without affecting any performances. It's probably a relatively simple matter to author performances based on the program selections you're already using, and at least you'll have a friendly workaround until such time as another OS update may occur. You may even find that you like working that way more...

Bless,

Pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 29 Sep 2014, 23:37, edited 2 times in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
PhilipK
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby Thortschman » 10 Apr 2018, 08:54

Hello all,

I'm still upset on every gig about this. Does smb found a solution how to change from single mode to performance mode using a Midi Code? Only programming in performance mode doesn't work as I need more then 100 storage locations.
I appreciate every tip from you!!!

THX
Thorstschman
Thortschman

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum