This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Cables for setup???

Postby dukewacoan » 03 Apr 2018, 20:51

I have web surfed a lot and seem too dense to understand out a cable issue. When to use Speaker Cable (unshielded), when to use Instrument Cable (shielded), specific to my setup.

I would appreciate help on exact what type cable to use for each particular connection. Thanks.

SETUP 1 - using Mixer (Alexis MultiMix8 - no amp) into Powered Speaker (Spacestation v3)

Powered instrument (Nord Electro 5D) -> Mixer (Alexis MultiMix 8 - no amp) -> Powered Speaker (Spacestation v3)

Unpowered instrument (plain guitar) - > Mixer (Alexis MultiMix 8 - no amp) -> Powered Speaker (Spacestation v3)

Acoustic Guitar or Bass with 9volt battery insert -> Mixer (Alexis MultiMix 8 - no amp) -> Powered Speaker (Spacestation v3)

SETUP 2 - Using Powered Mixer (Peavey XT-AT) into Passive Speakers (JBLs)

Powered instrument (Nord Electro 5D) -> Powered Mixer (Peavey XR-AT) -> Passive Speaker (JBLs)

Unpowered instrument (plain guitar) - > Powered Mixed (Peavey XR-AT) -> Passive Speaker (JBLs)

Bass with 9volt battery insert -> Powered Mixed (Peavey XR-AT) -> Passive Speaker (JBLs)
dukewacoan

Cables for setup???

Sponsor

Re: Cables for setup???

Postby cgrafx » 03 Apr 2018, 21:14

anything line mic/line level (microphone, guitar, keyboard, passive mixer outputs) need shielded cables.

anything speaker level (amplifier outputs, output to speaker from a powered mixer) need speaker cable

Setup 1 - ALL shielded Cables
Setup 2 - Mix of Shielded cables going into your mixer and Speaker cables going to your Passive JBLs
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby dukewacoan » 03 Apr 2018, 21:26

Thanks much

I wondered if the fact that the Nord is powered made any difference.
dukewacoan

Postby fieldflower » 03 Apr 2018, 21:51

Nord is not that kind of "powered".

The term "powered" You're thinking of is equipment that has a power amplifier built in, so that You can connect it directly to a passive speaker.
That's the only place You'd use a speaker cable - between a power amp and a passive speaker.

Out from the Nord is only line level outputs, which You cannot connect to passive speakers (or You can, but sound would be veeery low).
Last edited by fieldflower on 03 Apr 2018, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby ajstan » 03 Apr 2018, 22:22

Hi dukewacoan - here is some additional info to build upon what has already been said.

In all cases, you should read the device manual to determine the supported cabling options for each input/output.

For instrument (shielded) cables, 1/4” TS (aka unbalanced) cables are typically used to connect the instrument to a mixer or powered speaker, and 1/4” TRS (aka balanced) cables are used to connect a mixer to powered speakers.

Here is an explanation of TS vs TRS:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... rs-cables/

XLR cables are balanced and are typically used to connect microphones to mixers and mixers to powered speakers.

Finally, the inputs on your mixer (or powered speaker) may have restrictions on the type of instrument you can plug into each channel, as well as different settings depending upon the connected instrument, so again, reading the manual is important.
Last edited by ajstan on 03 Apr 2018, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby dukewacoan » 05 Apr 2018, 21:01

Thanks for all the advice.

I use the two setups on a fairly regular basis.

I have found the simple setup using just the Spacestation v3 from Aspen Pitman and the small Alesis board very adequate for small venues, even with plugging in the whole band - several vocal mics, the Nord, an acoustic guitar and a bass.
I got my idea from this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkoBoPpQTjY - and similar videos of a full band using just the one speaker.

As a stand alone, the Spacestation makes the Nord keyboard piano sounds come through very well, much more natural than my Roland keyboard amp.

My other rig is the Peavey XR-AT, which is also very nice and compact (and most important light weight) and sufficient sound for every other need I've run across. We used this setup for a gig on a river boat last weekend with more than enough power.
dukewacoan

Return to General Nord Forum