This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Critical reviews of acoustic pianos from Piano Library

Postby themixtape » 11 Mar 2018, 20:24

I have heard great things about it... but never tried it. That might be the go-to for that true Steinway sound.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------
themixtape

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Dreamer » 26 Mar 2018, 20:12

kirsty wrote:
Dreamer wrote: Ivory 2 American D is not for that but unbeaten for recording.

What do you think to the Ivory 2. I have been seriously considering this to fix my realistic Steinway urges.

I saw Dave Rosenthal comment that the American D (Via Kawai VPC1) is what Billy Joel uses live on stage these days. From a recent concert I can say it sounded great. The demos of Ivory sound stunning

Well if I had his PA I’d give it a try next gig ;)

But seriously, Ivory adds some realism especially for that Jazz stuff for me the current Nord Pianos still lack of. I always had the impression that there are bread and butter piano sounds that fit to all styles (Yam CP300 piano is one example) and Ivory also ticks this box as all purpose piano for me. It is for a reason why they use it as a standard in mixes in studios.

Using NE5 as a controller live works but is probably not the best idea. A straight non-Nord Jazz setup would be an Roland A-88, Ivory on MacBook and a pair of RCFTT08As, but I think an FP-30 as controller alternative offers at least an emergency fallback piano in case your Mac has a bad day :mrgreen:

Nord pianos are different here, having various sounds for different tunes, one great for blues, another better for classic, another one for vintage atmospheres and so on. What is important, they have no interest to create the ultimate grand. They see their piano palette as a sound toolbox. One that needs proper amplification :)
Dreamer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum