Can't get MIDI input to trigger sound from my NS2.. [SOLVED]

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
trumelpuut
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Can't get MIDI input to trigger sound from my NS2.. [SOLVED]

Post by trumelpuut »

Hello.

I'm trying to record whole performances from my Nord Stage 2 into a MIDI sequencer and play them back "as is" from the sequencer into the NS2. This, I think, corresponds to scenario #4 in the Nord's doc, page 55. Note that my sequencer is a very basic unit (here: http://www.sdmidicontroller.com ), too simple to be at fault.

So, recording works fine: Since I left MIDI>LOCAL On, I can hear myself playing, and then I get a MIDI file from the sequencer, with actual notes in it.

But playback gets weird: I see the NS2's MIDI led flash (in long flashes, meaning the channel and everything should be ok - see doc p.17) but I hear no sound whatsoever ! More surprising, the program changes I recorded seem to register all right (panel sections go on and off)... I just don't hear the notes.

(More about my config : I set the NS2's MIDI>GLOBAL entry to MIDI Channel 1, left MIDI>LOCAL On, and didn't touch anything else since factory (except for an OS update to 1.62). The unit also says "Revision B" when switched on.)

(Note: sending MIDI notes from an external keyboard, set to Ch1, into the NS2 yields the same result: MIDI Led flashes as if OK, but no sound heard from audio output 1&2)

Any insight, anybody ?

Thanks
Last edited by trumelpuut on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 7 times in total.
mjbrands

Re: Can't get MIDI input to trigger sound from my NS2...

Post by mjbrands »

Your assumption that the sending of notes, turning knobs, etc. goes via the global channel is correct. You've got that part set up correctly.

However, for every section on the Stage you can configure a MIDI channel to respond to. You might be able to get it to work via the global channel, but I don't know (from memory) how you'd set that up. Instead, you could set the section you want to use to respond to the MIDI channel you want to use in the MIDI menu. You can probably set a section to the same channel as the global channel; not sure about this, but this is easily tested.

I made a long post in a different thread about the way MIDI is routed in the Stage. It might be interesting to have a look at the diagram I posted.

http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage ... tml#p19200

Edit: the MIDI LED flashes when a MIDI message is received, it doesn't mean it is received on 'the right' channel.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.
trumelpuut
Patch Creator

Post by trumelpuut »

Thanks MJ. I will go and read your article when I get the time. I'm sure the education will be welcome !

A quick response though:

1) I want to remain as global as possible. I don't want to consider the different sections as different instruments. I want the sequencer to record everything my hands do (even program changes), regardless of what is what, and replay it as is. Like you, the doc seems to say I should get that to work solely via global channel, but they're not profuse in explanations...

2) About the MIDI Led: see doc P.17: short flashes for 'something' recieved, and long flashes for 'something right' received on the right channel. That's what they say, anyway.
Last edited by trumelpuut on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 7 times in total.
FunKey
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by FunKey »

What is your Dual KB MIDI channel? The Stage 2 behaves in a strange way if it is set to the same channel as something else, though I'm too lazy to check if it matches exactly what you describe.
Last edited by FunKey on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author FunKey for the post:
trumelpuut
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

trumelpuut wrote: 1) I want to remain as global as possible. I don't want to consider the different sections as different instruments. I want the sequencer to record everything my hands do (even program changes), regardless of what is what, and replay it as is. Like you, the doc seems to say I should get that to work solely via global channel, but they're not profuse in explanations...
I can understand and I do think it is possible. When you send MIDI to the global channel, you probably need to have the slots and sections set up the way you want them (just like when using the built in keys). At least that's how I think it works. You should probably send a change program message before sending notes, wait a few hundred milliseconds (not sure if the NS2 needs it, but older synth need some time to set up everything properly) and then start sending the notes.

The following would likely work:
  • Set the current program to the one before what you'll be playing (so A:01:04 if you're playing A:01:05)
  • Start recording on your sequencer
  • Hit 'program up' (or whatever you'd like to call it) so the sequencer gets sent the program change MIDI message
  • Start playing, tweaking knobs, etc.
trumelpuut wrote:2) About the MIDI Led: see doc P.17: short flashes for 'something' recieved, and long flashes for 'something right' received on the right channel. That's what they say, anyway.
Good point, I never noticed that. You learn something new every day :mrgreen:
FunKey wrote:What is you Dual KB MIDI channel? The Stage 2 behaves in a strange way if it is set to the same channel as something else, though I'm too lazy to check if it matches exactly what you describe.
The Dual KB functionality is a bit weird: it allows you to use two manuals with an organ (that's not the weird bit), but unlike the other MIDI settings it seems to gobble up all incoming MIDI data, even if you're not playing an organ. So if you set Dual KB to MIDI channel 1, nothing else can receive on MIDI channel 1. With all the other stuff you can set multiple sections to the same channel and it will happily work as expected.

If you currently have Dual KB and Global set to the same channel, you might just have found the cause of your issues.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
trumelpuut
Patch Creator

Post by trumelpuut »

FunKey wrote:What is you Dual KB MIDI channel? The Stage 2 behaves in a strange way if it is set to the same channel as something else, though I'm too lazy to check if it matches exactly what you describe.
mjbrands wrote:If you currently have Dual KB and Global set to the same channel, you might just have found the cause of your issues.
GREAT ! :-)

I don't know what the Dual KB channel is exactly, but setting it to USB16 (because there is no OFF setting) instead of MIDI 1 (MIDI 1 being my global channel) did the trick... I've only done a very quick test so far, but everything now seems to work just like I want it to: program changes, pots and knobs, notes and pedals (obviously)... Swell !!!

Thanks a lot to you both.
Last edited by trumelpuut on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 8 times in total.
FunKey
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Can't get MIDI input to trigger sound from my NS2.. [SOL

Post by FunKey »

I think it's a bug, and I have just reported it to Clavia. The reason there is no "off" setting is probably that there is a dedicated button to activate and deactivate Dual KB mode (Shift + Slot B), and I guess the corresponding MIDI channel setting is supposed to be ignored if Dual KB mode is turned off.
Last edited by FunKey on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.