General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Library samples in Sample Editor?

Postby hg123 » 25 Jan 2013, 06:51

Nord Stage 2 - I've reached the point where two synths aren't enough for one song. Is it possible to take samples from the sample library and split them up on separate notes with the sample editor? I'd like to create a sample with cello low, plain strings an octave higher, and vib strings an octave above that.

I could always record them to WAV's and do it that way, but it seems like it should be possible to use the library samples as separate chunks.

Thanks!
hg123

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Library samples in Sample Editor?

Sponsor

Re: Library samples in Sample Editor?

Postby juholaatu » 25 Jan 2013, 09:31

Multiple WAVs is the only approach that I know to do this within one program. But if you don't need three synths simultaneously, maybe you can use multiple programs that are placed next to each other in the memory. You can switch between them during the song using program buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (or alternatively the value dial). A one second break in the middle of the song should be enough to do this.
juholaatu
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 25 Jan 2013, 09:40

recording to waves is the only way if you want them lumped into one sample...to allow reverse translation from Nord's proprietary sample format into .wav would effectively be releasing their free sample library to the world at large regardless of whether they owned a Nord or not.

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby gildabass » 25 Jan 2013, 14:31

It would be a great idea to be able to edit zones (not necessarely the samples by themself) in the nord library to combine them !! Let's put it in the suggestion thread...
By the way, does Anyone knows if people from nord come and have a look around here sometimes ? After all this Is one of the most active community of nord users... And they have a link on their website...
I Come from the kurzweil world, and dave weiser, a Sound ingeneer from Kurz would come and participate in user forums, giving official answers... Sometimes it quicker and reassuring to have the "home" voice...
gildabass

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby hg123 » 25 Jan 2013, 15:11

@gildabass, exactly what I want!

@juholaatu, yeah, in this particular case, the parts overlap. I switch panels quite a bit, but usually hold the current sound with the sustain pedal. Switching programs requires a completely dead section.

Song is Coldplay's Paradise. I've got some semblance of booming bass on one synth, so I'm left with one for the strings and pad. I've set the band's expectation level too high that the Stage can do everything with my normal 5 sound/3 split arrangements, "Can't you do the tremolo strings and then the plain like in the real song?"

Thanks for the help!
hg123

Postby Niarf » 25 Jan 2013, 15:12

Hello, you can have 88 different sounds in a sample file, but you need to record each note.

Example quickly done by sampling drum sounds from a workstation, you launch audacity, press record, and you press each note of the workstation by starting at the most left note and so on, you must leave one or two seconds between each sound. When done, save your wav file and import it in the nord sample editor and you'll be able to assign automatically the sounds to each note.

I've done this with the addictive drums plugin : I like to play drums with fingers but the mapping is not good, so i recorded each sound of AD with the mapping I choose on the fly and I imported the wav file in the NS2, so I have drum sounds for 4 mo ^^
Niarf

Postby hg123 » 25 Jan 2013, 15:30

Wait! Single WAV file is possible? I really need to learn that app better. I've been recording a single WAV and chopping up in Reaper or Beatmaker. I've been doing big chords that way for a while.

Also have considered recording to Beatmaker on iPad and triggering with MIDI. But, another couple inputs to the FOS is always an issue. Beatmaker is the way the Sample Editor should work. Now, Nord could take a Beatmaker file as input...

Or, I can finally force the drummer play to a click and sequence the whole thing after spending my $800 on Ableton ;-) Me Skrillex, push play.
hg123

Postby juholaatu » 25 Jan 2013, 17:19

> I switch panels quite a bit, but usually hold the current sound with the sustain pedal. Switching programs requires a completely dead section.

Nord could actually help us here by not cutting the notes of the previous program when a new program is selected. There are however probably some physical limitations, like inability to initiate a new program without killing the notes of the old program first. However, since A and B slots are quite separate, it could be easy to initiate slot B with a new program while playing slot A. The user interface could get a bit tricky. Or maybe not. Maybe it would be easy enough if e.g. the old active slot would play as long as one holds the suspend pedal or keys down. The other slot would be loaded right away if it is not active. The slot that was played would be loaded after it becomes inactive. Maybe this could be done also separately for each of the 6 instruments. (Long "echos" could be cut a bit shorter.) This feature could be optional (in the menus).
juholaatu
Patch Creator

Postby juholaatu » 25 Jan 2013, 17:25

Niarf wrote:
> press record, and you press each note of the workstation by starting at the most left note and so on

I have used also a midi file that contains notes (for all keys or for every n'th key) that have exactly the same volume. This makes the recording process quite easy, and the volume and colour of the sound of each sample more even (if key velocity has some impact on them).
juholaatu
Patch Creator

Postby hg123 » 25 Jan 2013, 17:34

Oh, good idea (of course, already using two synth engines at the same time anyway). But, there could be a "Next Panel" function. A/B buttons become next and previous. They could almost do that with current hardware.

Any idea what the actual downtime is to switch programs? Might be possible to do it with a footswitch. I just can't seem to get to the knob and turn it only one click in less than 2 seconds.
hg123

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum