General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Help! Key Stuck at Full Velocity on Stage EX73

Postby muckmuck » 18 Sep 2012, 23:25

Hi Board, I'm having a little problem with my Stage EX73.
First I want to say that I rarely post but I read through regularly and have learned so much from you guys over the last few years! I really appreciate this forum.
My problem is that I have one key that jumps to full velocity with even just a little touch. I've read through the posts and found some discussions on my problem so I'm certain it is dirt in the key contact. The problem just started right after an outdoor gig in a swirling dust bowl of a festival. I even found a thread here on this forum with pictures and guidance on how to do it. I think the problem is that the pics must have been of a Stage that was not an EX model. The contacts in the EX are held down by, what looks like, some kind of black bracket that was not in the pictures I found on that thread. (Duh! I should have taken a pic while it was still open!!)
Can anybody give me some guidance getting this board open enough to access the rubber key contact strips?
Thanks so much everyone!
muckmuck

Help! Key Stuck at Full Velocity on Stage EX73

Sponsor

Re: Help! Key Stuck at Full Velocity on Stage EX73

Postby mjbrands » 19 Sep 2012, 00:24

This is an unweighted keybed, right? Doesn't it have springs towards the end of the keys?

It would be nice if you could make a picture of this black bracket you're referring to. That might also be useful for other Stage EX owners that will stumble upon this post in the future.
mjbrands

Postby muckmuck » 19 Sep 2012, 01:14

Yes I'll post pics when I open it again today or tomorrow. Thanks!
Edit: And yes - semi weighted waterfall keys w the springs in the back
Last edited by muckmuck on 19 Sep 2012, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
muckmuck

Postby pablomastodon » 19 Sep 2012, 03:11

Hi Mucky,

Most likely the photos you've seen are of the synth action, which is constructed on a lightweight plastic frame. Your 73-key waterfall action with aftertouch has a much beefier steel-reinforced frame. On the synth action, the contacts are accessed by removing individual keys. On the waterfall action, those PCBs (one treble, one bass) are mounted to the underside of the frame, so the entire keybed assembly must be removed as one piece, after which the pertinent PCB can be removed for access to the actual contact point.

PLEASE NOTE: There are expensive parts inside there and this is a delicate operation. While the job is easily within reach of folks with meaningful keyboard/electronics experience, novices are strongly encouraged to seek professional assistance.

If you drop me a line at my regular work email address, I may be able to offer you additional assistance:

Bless,

Pablo
Pablo Mastodon
Nord Tech Support USA/Canada
pablo.mastodon@AmericanMusicandSound.com
800-994-4984 x3030
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Michael Wright » 19 Sep 2012, 03:38

:yourock: Pablo Rocks!!
Michael Wright
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Postby cleito » 19 Sep 2012, 04:20

Have you fixed the problem?
take a look about the problem I had, maybe it's the same. :?

https://www.norduserforum.com/post16388.html#p16388
cleito

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby muckmuck » 20 Sep 2012, 03:51

Yes problem solved. Pablo rocks! He took the time to speak at length with my brother (who, unlike me, is quite electronically and mechanically adept) and the whole procedure only took about 20 minutes. My bro also took great pics of the whole procedure and I'll post them here very soon. Thanks again board for all the help!
muckmuck

Postby msfoto » 21 Sep 2012, 07:37

Hi -

I did a write-up with pictures for anyone that needs this. Hope it's useful to someone!

-Marc

Nord Stage EX SW73 Compact Velocity Repair.pdf
Nord Stage EX SW73 Compact Velocity Repair
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 5206 times

The author msfoto was thanked by 12 members, including:
jboutemydlargentfunkylaundryGraspiepertagirovTbonevortmaxxAndreyVNFrantzMr_-G-pablomastodonJohannes
msfoto

Postby mjbrands » 21 Sep 2012, 18:00

Very detailed and understandable Marc, thanks for that. :-)
mjbrands

Postby pablomastodon » 21 Sep 2012, 22:45

WOW! What a great job of documenting and detail and all. Personally, I would disconnect the cables running from the keybed to the mainboard at the mainboard end prior to removing screws which secure keybed frame. That way there is much less danger of damaging those cables, as could more easily happen during that time in the illustrated procedure where the cables are connected and the keybed frame is unsecured. Takes a bit more juggling to do it the way depicted, but otherwise a really SUPERB job. Major brownie points are owed to muckmuck and his brother for this post.

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum