Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Piano/pad sample, Piano/strings sample?

Postby sparre » 20 May 2011, 10:40

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying the new Nord Electro HP. Simply because of its very light weight and good sound quality.

I have a question though (which I have not fully found the answer to here on the forum).

Is is possible to create a good piano/pad sample or a piano/strings sample?

Because frankly, as a working keyboardist, that is what I'm missing at the Nord Electro HP at the moment.
I listened to the SoftPiano_Pad sample at the Nord download library, but did not think that it was that superb.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by sparre on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
sparre

Piano/pad sample, Piano/strings sample?

Sponsor

Re: Piano/pad sample, Piano/strings sample?

Postby -Toro- » 20 May 2011, 15:26

hi Sparre.
personally I wouldn't buy a NE to play piano sounds from a sample library. i would choose the NE because of the great quality pianos in the piano section... and of course for the superb organ simulator.

if i were you, i would complement the NE buying an old used rack synth to play back the strings. (if the quality of the strings is not the most important part of your piano/strings layer you can find pretty ok strings for a low cost.)
Last edited by -Toro- on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,
Henrik
Nord Stage 4 88
Yamaha Motif Rack ES
-Toro-
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby -Toro- » 20 May 2011, 15:29

....and welcome to the forum, by the way! :-)
Last edited by -Toro- on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,
Henrik
Nord Stage 4 88
Yamaha Motif Rack ES
-Toro-
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Hanon_CTS » 20 May 2011, 15:57

toro.larsson wrote:.....if i were you, i would complement the NE buying an old used rack synth to play back the strings. (if the quality of the strings is not the most important part of your piano/strings layer you can find pretty ok strings for a low cost.)

This is sage advice.
Good choices for this midi tone module "box of sounds" would be the Kurzweil Micro Ensemble or Roland JV-1080 for about $200 USD.
Of course if you add this $ to what you'll pay for the NE3HP, you can probably get a good pre-owned Stage Ex.

There's probably more than one of us here that will sell our NSEx to fund the purchase of the new NS2.
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby sparre » 20 May 2011, 20:19

Thanks for the answers.

Yeah I know.. As I said I'm buying the NE HP mostly because of its light weight. I'm doing around 80 gigs per year so I need something light weight.
Stage EX is to bulky in my opinion.
Yeah I know, I already own a 1080.. but carrying that with me would spoil the "easy-carrying" idea anyway =) Then I could by a EX instead.

So back to the question.. Which no one really answered...
Is it possible to make a good piano/pad sample? Do you think that it will be developed eventually?

best regards...
Last edited by sparre on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
sparre

Postby Hanon_CTS » 20 May 2011, 22:35

sparre wrote:.......So back to the question.. Which no one really answered...
Is it possible to make a good piano/pad sample? Do you think that it will be developed eventually?

best regards...

Yes it is possible for Clavia Nord to make a good sample with piano and pad together.
The Nord sample editor software is very limited with regard to velocity layers and working with anything other than .wav files, so I don't believe users are going to be able to come up with an acceptable solution, this one will be up to Nord.
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby Johannes » 21 May 2011, 01:22

I absolutely agree, it's like that for now.
But frankly, I don't think Nord will ever release different npno files rather than Standard pure Pianos for the following reasons:
1) This would kind of weaken the Stage's premium "Multitimbrality" in their product line
2) Once they release some combined patches, its gonna be tough to keep their library clean and logically consistent
3) There would probably (at least with todays hardware architecture) no way to e.g., change the relative levels of both sounds - which makes it very difficult to decide how much Pad/String to put to a Piano. I guess aspiring keyboard players would not want a standard fixed Mix for any Song they Play, Solos, ...
4) Having ONE .npno File using, say, a decent Grand like the Boesie with a Pad or String would necessarily imply a Filesize that is the sum of both samplesets. Given limited Space, people would have to load a e.g. the Grands several times into their memory for each layered sound plus the naked one.
But I would be happy to be proven wrong ;-)

That being said, I heard a Grand Piano with String Sound on the Nord Wave (dunno which one of the Presets), but I was surprised how good it sounded given it was based only on one velocity sample.
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Electro Forum