Nord electro 3 receive midi modulation/pitch bend

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
beukie
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Nord electro 3 receive midi modulation/pitch bend

Post by beukie »

Hello,
I was wondering if there's gonna be an upgrade of the NE3 midi implementation so that it could recognize modulation and pitch bend ?

I'm using the sample section a lot going from strings to lead sounds, fat synths , brass etc...
In particular the synth en lead sounds should be controlled with modulation and pitch bend.
There could be a solution - using external controllers - if NE3 recognizes these messages...
Last edited by beukie on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Re: Nord electro 3 receive midi modulation/pitch bend

Post by anotherscott »

I don't know about the feasibility of recognizing pitch bend, but modulation is probably impossible. There is no LFO in the NE3 for a mod wheel to control, so the electronics just aren't there to support it.
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
beukie
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Post by beukie »

A Whammy pedal can 'modulate' and bend the pitch real time.
Sounds very good.
Unfortunately, the momentary switch is type 'click'...
Signal is mono...
Price: 300 euro...
Last edited by beukie on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Along the same lines, a Behringer US600 pedal will give you pitch bend, and that's under $50.
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
pablomastodon
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by pablomastodon »

Anotherscott is right -- there is simply no way that a Nord Electro 1/2/3/4 is going to recognize incoming modulation or pitch bend data. It was not designed to do that. The Nord Electro series, like most Nord instruments, is founded on a singular design principle. In the case of the Electro, it was designed to provide the player with quality reproductions of a few popular electromechanical keyboard instruments: Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet, Hammond, along with traditional pianos and harpsichords, etc. (hence the name). Those instruments are not customarily equipped with either pitch bend or mod wheels.

Eventually, Nord decided to "spice things up a bit" in their Electro line by giving players access to non-traditional sounds and came out with the Electro 3, providing access to the ever-expanding sample library. But the underlying design philosophy remained consistent. For the Electro 3, I like to consider the pianos and organs to be the "meat and potatoes" of the thing, while the samples are rather condiments on the side. Not a perfect metaphor, but close. Sure, one can load synths into the sample section, but they will only play as they were sampled in the first place without any possibility of adjusting envelopes, filters, etc., thus never really rising to the level of being a synth. The same situation exists now with the release of the new Nord Piano 2. it's a piano first and foremost, with the addition of some basic-level synth/sample sounds. Folks who seek the full-blown functionality of a synth will not be interested in a Nord Electro 3/4 or Nord Piano 2, but will opt for a Lead or Wave instead, where they will find the mod wheel and pitch bend functions to which they've become accustomed.

Bless,

Pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
bdodds
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro

Post by bdodds »

pablomastodon wrote:Folks who seek the full-blown functionality of a synth will not be interested in a Nord Electro 3/4 or Nord Piano 2, but will opt for a Lead or Wave instead, where they will find the mod wheel and pitch bend functions to which they've become accustomed.
Well said, Pablo and I'd add that the Stage 2 is a nice balance between the electro and a "real" synth with many other useful options thrown in, including pitch and mod wheel. (although pitch is capped at +-2, which is pretty lame)
Last edited by bdodds on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
clavia ddrum4
nord lead rack 2
nord electro 73 (sold!)
nord stage classic 88 (sold!)
nord electro 3 73 (sold!)
nord stage 2 compact
simonbeck
FAQ Editor
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by simonbeck »

I'm interested in getting the Behringer US600 pedal so I can pitch-bend Mellotron sounds. Has anyone tried this? And does it sound realistic? I know it can only do pre-set bends (fixed interval, up or down) but it sounds like quite a good solution.
Last edited by simonbeck on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Communication is everything
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Frantz »

I believe that Nord has a great card to play with the Clavinet and a pitch bend is needed for that.
This is "keyboard classic" :
This is an old mod from 1978.
I do that on the NS2.
The NE should really get a pitch bend.

btw, here is George Duke (RIP) with such a modified clavinet :

Come on Nord please make a Nord Electro 4P with a Pitch Bend ;)
This could be the other 61 keys (with the NE4D), with same amount of memory as the HP this time ;)
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Frantz »

The video on this page may be inspiring too :
http://kenrichsounds.com/news/buddy-cas ... en-reborn/
:keyboard2:
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.