We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience. If you "ACCEPT" setting, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Accept
Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 3HP, and Electro 4D, 4HP and 4 SW 73.

Electro 5 Needs Soft Midi Thru!

Postby DanLong » 15 Dec 2016, 19:34

Why is there not a soft midi thru on this board? My Lead A1 has it. Makes it difficult to chain more than 2 boards together for midi program changes.... Maybe in an update?
DanLong

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Electro 5 Needs Soft Midi Thru!

Sponsor

Re: Electro 5 Needs Soft Midi Thru!

Postby vcfvca » 05 Jan 2017, 15:47

I'm also surprised that there in no option for a soft MIDI Thru. So many of my synths have this function - the Sub 37 has a really good implementation that allows you to merge and manipulate MIDI between USB and MIDI In/Outs. It seems to be a standard feature where there is no physical Thru port. Nord? Any chance of an update?
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby sherlocklockboom » 06 Jan 2017, 19:14

http://sound.stackexchange.com/question ... i-thru-why

I guess the industry is pushing towards more hub and spoke, rather than chained devices.
sherlocklockboom

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby DanLong » 09 Jan 2017, 20:54

sherlocklockboom wrote:http://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/34606/none-of-my-recent-synths-2000-onwards-have-midi-thru-why

I guess the industry is pushing towards more hub and spoke, rather than chained devices.

Interesting. I can understand that point, but for live use, with only a couple keyboards, I don't need/want to bring a hub type device to handle simple things like program changes.

My live rig is a Roland FA08, Electro 5d, and Lead A1. With my Hammond SK1, I could send a program change to it, and then it had sophisticated enough zone features to let me change the midi channel and program change info that I wanted to send to the A1. I use the FA sequencer for 1 song and trigger the A1. I use the FA keybed to control pianos and EP's on the Electro. Nothing super complex.

What I have to do now is run from the FA into the A1, which DOES have a soft thru, and then into the Electro. None of the patch change stuff works at all, but it's really not a big deal at this point. I change my FA to it's sound set, and I'm making set lists for the Electro where I can have 4 patches at my fingertips, and change the A1 manually since I have less than a dozen performances I'm using on it- some are single tones where I can go thru the slots to call up 1 of 4 sounds I need, others are layers, etc.

So on the Electro I might have a set list for Dark Side of the Moon 1 (DSOTM1 as it's label), and in that, have the Rhodes, B3, Wurlie, Grand piano I need, then have an "Animals" one that has the tones I need for that set, etc. Not as easy as having 1 knob set the whole rig like I could do with the Hammond, but it's workable. My other option is to get one of those midi program change keypad things or incorporate a laptop with Cantibile or something like that.
DanLong

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord Electro Forum